Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A General Update

Where have we been, what have we been doing... Well here is the exciting recap of life in Card house the past few weeks.

Garden:  Well the garden is booming.  We are getting lots of summer squash, peas, and cucumbers.  The tomatoes are finally turning red and the green beans will the ready to pick in a couple of days.  The only complaints are with home depot.  We bought all of our sprouts from them and now that we have fruit it is obvious some things were mislabeled.  So our cherry tomato bush is some other kind of tomato bush that makes big tomatoes and 2 of our zucchini plants were actually summer squash and yellow crookneck summer squash that looks just like summer squash with a bent neck and lots of bumps but taste like winter squash.  Moral of the story, dont buy your plants at home depot.  I have been blanching and freezing the squash and zucchini and will be doing some pickling and canning soon.

Bees:  Well we have sold all of our honey and are super happy with it.  It taste great!  I still need to deliver some of it, and we still need to collect the money, but it looks like we may break even this year.  We have always successfully grafted queens, they emerged, mated and are now laying eggs in their new hives.  We're conquering the beekeeping world one season at a time.

House:  Construction is common place in our house.  Aaron installed two new ceiling fans in the living room and they make all the difference on these hot days.  Paul has been replacing our old stairs for the past week and half.  They are no longer steep, narrow, railing-less, and broken.  We are worried that we have re-created the problem of not being able to move a bed up/down the stairs.  When Aaron moved in to the house we couldn't fit a queen sized bed up the stairs.  We had to rip out the railing, balusters, the post at the bottom of the stairs, all the trim, and part of the ceiling in order to get the bed up.  When we re-did the upstairs my dad corrected the ceiling so this would not be an issue again.  Well now the new stairs are less steep and come to a landing, making the distance from the floor to the ceiling shorter than Dad had corrected for.  I guess we'll wait till we're moving to worry about this.  We are very excited to have a new big closet under stairs.



Old Stairs

New Stairs (Still in Progress) (Pic is backward)


Health:  Well we stink at dieting.  It turns out carbs are my favorite.  We have been eating alot of PB&Honey sandwiches and fruit loops.  But on a happy note I have been feeling much better this month.  I'm still not pushing it to much, and still have my moments, but overall much much much better. The neurologist is awesome, he is a great doctor and returns my calls in person instead of having a nurse or PA call me.  Friday is my MRI and Aaron is coming for support and to be my driver.  Im very claustrophobic but the neurologist gave me some Valium for the anxiety.  I hate drugs, and I hate feeling out of control, but Im terrified of being in tight places (and not a fan of the IV contrast) so I think I'll take it.  

1 comment:

  1. The stairs look great! And I apologize I forgot to give you a honey check on Sunday. I may either mail it this week or try again for Sunday. Hope everything goes well on Friday. We'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete