Sunday, June 26, 2011

Carbs :(

Just the thought of preparing a meal void of carbs (and sugar) makes me want to give up.  Aaron was very sick last night so I wasn't going to start our diet today, but he insisted.  I was born with my fathers taste-buds, meaning every meal I crave white bread with butter.  Today I made a salad for lunch, lettuce/tuna/egg/balsamic dressing.  It was good, but would have been better with Italian bread and butter.  Dinner was scrambled eggs with spinach and fat-free cheddar cheese again, it tasted good, but would have been better with ketchup and buttered toast.  Desert was a sugar free grape Popsicle, oh how I wish it was a brownie, or cookie, or ice cream.  I hate dieting!  Aaron loves it, these are his favorite foods.  Not me.  In an ideal world I would eat the following:

Breakfast - McDonalds Sausage burritos, fried egg sandwiches, corn beef hash, donuts, french toast
Lunch - Burgers, hot dogs, tuna fish sandwiches, chili with bread, any creamy soup with bread, chips
Dinner - Shepherds pie with bread, lasagna with bread, burgers with fries, mashed potatoes
Snacks and Deserts - Ice cream, cake, brownies, cookies, chocolate 

Like I said, my fathers taste-buds.  As a result my cholesterol is way to high and Im supposed to change my diet and take medicine until it is within normal limits.  This diet is supposed to be a lifestyle change.  The first two weeks are hard, but then you add in fruit and healthy carbs (and avoid white sugar and white flour products).  But thinking about it just makes me sad.  I love bad sugar and bad carbs!  The diet allows you to enjoy them occasionally after the first 2 weeks, but occasionally isn't lifting my spirits.  I am not even 12 hours in to the diet and I want to quit, cheat, or modify it to let me eat grilled tuna melts and hot fudge sundaes everyday.  I always lived by the philosophy eat what makes you happy because a short happy life is better than a long miserable life.  My dad and I would enjoy our big macs and laugh at people preaching healthy dieting for the sake of healthy and long living.  But then my father died at age 55 from heart disease and now my perspective is changing.  Moral support is much appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. oh boy.sounds like we are in the same boat with the same taste buds. i dont know what my cholestrol level is, im too scared to even find out. my mother has always been waif thin, but put on a few lns recently, got tested and she said her cholestrl was sky high and needed meds, so i have a bad feeling. i have my 3 hour glucose test on tuesday that will determine if i have gestational diabetes. if i do, my diet will be very similar to yours. but im starting to think that even if my results are negative, i should stick to that plan anyway. its just better for you. ugh! i wish i didnt have those dang taste buds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you guys are feeling better, and I know you will be successful with your weight loss/health plan. You can do it!!!

    I love you both!

    ReplyDelete